Sometimes planning out healthy meals can seem like a chore. When you’re having a hard time coming up with a delicious and healthy meal there is one word that solves everything: salad.
It might sound like an obvious healthy choice, but there is so much you can do to add excitement, nutrition, and flavor to a salad. Summer is a great time for salads, because it is the prime season for many delicious vegetables.
I make myself a salad for either lunch or dinner at least 5 times a week. The trick to warding off salad boredom is to use a variety of ingredients. Don’t use the same combination every day because your taste buds will get sick of it! Try using a different protein like tofu or shrimp. You can also add some sweetness with dried fruit, or use a homemade dressing.
When I have to pack my lunch I typically go for tuna or chicken as my protein. You can cook your chicken the night before and throw it in the fridge until you’re ready to assemble your salad. I love the tuna in the pouches because it takes the hassle out of opening a can.
And that is how my salad was born.
My basic formula for salads is as follows:
– 2 cups of dark leafy greens
– 4-6 ounces of lean protein
– 1 cup of assorted chopped vegetables
– 1/8-cup nuts or seeds
– A few tablespoons of oil-based dressing
My dressing is usually 1 part balsamic vinegar to 2 parts olive oil, salt, and pepper. Sometimes I add a teaspoon of Dijon mustard or hummus if I want it to be creamier.
For this, I just used basic balsamic vinaigrette. I don’t usually measure it out but it’s probably about 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar.
It is definitely better to make your own dressing because store bought dressings usually have a lot of sodium and strange ingredients. It’s so easy to throw a dressing together and you can make it exactly to your liking. Throw some fresh herbs in like basil or parsley, add some citrus juice, or add heat with spicy seasonings.
Experiment with different combinations until you find the perfect mix. Keep in mind that a little oil goes a long way when it comes to dressing a salad.
Quick and Easy Summer Salad
– Serves 1
– Total Prep Time of 10 minutes.
– 2 cups of leafy greens
– 1/2 cup chopped yellow pepper
– 1/2 cup chopped tomato
– 1/2 an avocado chopped
– 1/8 cup roasted sunflower seeds
– 1 pack of white albacore tuna
– 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
– 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
– Salt and pepper
– Chop all the vegetables into bite size pieces.
– Rinse and dry lettuce, and cut into small pieces.
– Place lettuce in a bowl and arrange veggies on top.
– Sprinkle the sunflower seeds over the salad.
– Add tuna.
– Whisk the olive oil and balsamic vinegar in a separate bowl and add salt and pepper to taste.
– Drizzle dressing over salad.
– Using two spoons, toss the salad so that the dressing saturates through.
This salad is so simple and full of what your body needs. You are sure to be glowing after eating it!